Seeking: Employment Lawyer with 3+ years’ experience in litigation and counseling for San Diego office.
The Job: The job will be equal parts counseling and litigation. The firm acts as outside and general counsel for several small, medium and enterprise clients. Counseling will include solving business problems, giving advice, doing employment law audits, implementing compliance policies and procedures, and providing training. Lawyer is also expected to handle cases from pre-litigation through post-judgment in a day-to-day capacity, including complex actions such as multi-party and class action cases. Case representations will be, on average, 85% defense and 15% plaintiff and always on the side of good ethics and justice!
There is no billable hour requirement; Attorneys are expected to manage a reasonable load of clients assigned to work with them by Bellatrix’s CEO. Lawyer will also manage junior lawyers and paralegals staffed in employment law matters. While we all work hard, and litigation sometimes requires long days, Bellatrix employees usually have evenings and weekends off – this is not a billable-hour, sweatshop law firm. The job requires courtroom skills — lawyers at Bellatrix PC are given opportunities to fully litigate and manage clients, participate in strategy plans, take depositions, argue motions and appeals and try cases.
The Firm: Bellatrix PC is a healthy and growing, woman-owned law firm with two offices (one in San Diego and headquartered in Saint Louis). We are still small enough to be a close-knit team, but we are now poised for explosive and healthy growth. Get in on the ground level with a solid firm.
Bellatrix PC exists for a purpose: we value excellent results for our clients that includes keeping them out of the courtroom, justice and service to the business community and courts. We are selective of our clients and we love them! We are unafraid to fight for causes we believe in.
And we put our money where our mouth is. We have a solid, technologically-based business infrastructure for efficiency and improved delivery of services. We are rewarded for excellent results by our clients and we share those rewards with all employees (support staff included). We run the law firm like a business so that it thrives in the new economy, easily positioning ourselves to outlast and outcompete the old billable-hour partnership model of law firm management. We are ethical, honest lawyers for our own good and the good of our clients. And we even do volunteer work (not just pro bono cases) as a team to help out our communities. Bellatrix PC is about long term, people-first success, and it shows.
To learn about the firm, including the meaning of the name, our staff and our mission statement, please see The Bellatrix Story. Bellatrix PC has an excellent staff with no drama. We are a high-functioning, diverse team with professional pride and egalitarian collaboration. As we grow, we want to keep the firm’s happy culture intact.
- A minimum of 3-years’ experience in employment law in California, including both litigation and counseling is required.
- California bar admitted is required. Other jurisdictions are not required but are a plus.
- Advanced litigation skills (such as trial) are a plus, but not required.
- Comfort advising businesses and the ability to skillfully and efficiently problem-solve for businesses (particularly for risk management and avoidance) is necessary.
- Excellent judgment, a solid knowledge of wage-hour laws and excellent writing skills are required.
- Good people skills and a love of practicing law is highly preferred. Eagerness to learn and improve as a professional is also highly desired.
- A book of business is not necessary, but origination of firm clients is compensated with bonuses and profit-sharing.
- Business experience or business law/general civil litigation experience is a plus.
- A background search that includes verifying bar and court admissions will be conducted as a condition for any offer of employment.
How to Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to the below by mail only. The cover letter should be less than a page, be persuasive, an example of good writing skills, and answer the question of why you are applying to be part of our team. The writing sample should be a brief from a piece of litigation.
** UPDATE: Position Filled
Please check our careers page for current open positions.
Please allow a week for delivery before placing any telephone calls to confirm receipt. Do not email or fax the application package. Anyone who emails or faxes resumes and supporting documents to Bellatrix PC will be automatically removed from consideration. Any application packages that do not follow the above instructions and any applicants who do not meet the qualification criteria will not be considered.
Compensation: This position pays $90,000 per year plus eligibility to participate in Bellatrix’s profit-sharing bonus plan, 401(k) with match, professional incidentals (bar fees, CLE etc.), miscellaneous perks, life insurance, and medical and dental insurance that is 100% employer-paid, including dependents. Salary is non-negotiable. Bellatrix PC does not pay for relocation.
Bellatrix PC is a corporation and is run like a business for the benefit of all employees and its clients. It is not a traditional law firm partnership, which is one of its competitive advantages. Accordingly, while there is no formal partnership track at the firm, there is a profit-sharing plan that accomplishes the same ends with less aggravation for everyone. We are looking for a long-term fit, so please be comfortable with that aspect of the business model before applying.
Thanks for reading this far! We look forward to hearing from you.
~ The Bellatrix Team
Latest posts by Alicia Dearn (see all)
- Do You Have To Pay Your Employee’s Cell Phone Bill? - November 23, 2015
- Grandfathering Under the ADA Is Not A Thing - November 16, 2015
- Am I Liable If My Employee Gets Into A Car Accident Driving Home From Work? - November 9, 2015